Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Songs for my Dance Class


In two weeks time I will begin teaching an adult jazz/funk/hip-hop dance class once a week. I did this back in Darwin and thankfully the interest was high here in my new town. Much looking forward to starting up again. I NEED the movement!

Anyway, the way I run it for the first few weeks (or the first term, depending on the ability/interest of my dancers) is in the style of a 'dance aerobics' class. We do seven routines for the hour, work up a hell of a sweat, and the ladies get a feel for the movement and an idea of what they like.
A few simple counts of eight for each song is all I teach them and they repeat those steps throughout the song. Feel the rhythm. Hopefully have some fun.



Songs for weeks 1 - 3 are:

1. Telephone: Lady Gaga
2. Out of My Head: Blackeyed Peas
3. Starstrukk: 3OH!3 (ft Katy Perry)
4. Work: Ciara (ft Missy Elliot)
5. Can't Shake It: Kate Miller-Heidke
6. Do Your Thing: Basement Jaxx
7. Rock Star: N.E.R.D

Warm up is to Supermassive Black Hole: Muse
Cool down is to Hey, Soul Sister: Train.

Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment